Wednesday 10 July 2013

Great Spotted Woodpecker...



I am super fortunate to have woodpeckers visiting my garden. It is the second year running we have been lucky enough to have a juvenile visiting the peanut holder.
Woody Junior...2013

Cheeky Chappie 2012

The Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major is apparently common in Britain but that doesn’t detract from my pleasure at seeing them in my garden.
Beautiful markings...
 I usually hear them arriving by their sharpchip chip’ call. Often in the day they can be seen flying between the numerous surrounding trees easily recognisable by their undulating flight, often accompanied by the aforesaid ‘chipping’.
Woodpecker feathers dropped last year...
 Luckily for me this species is easily identifiable. The male has a red mark on the back of its neck (the female doesn’t) and the young have a red cap.
At other times of the year I hear them drumming on the nearby trees.
Beautiful and amazing.

Thanks for your time.

The Old Country Crone xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment